My counselor said she’s frustrated with me! Help! Facebook Friday! #KatiFAQ
1. Do u ever have ed patients in therapy that have NO idea anymore what they like? Colors, music, styles…I feel lost. You said that trying new things will help. But how can if we like nothing, trying new things will help. i know that i dont like anything even the new stuff.
2. #KATIFAQ! ! My counselor told me she is frustrated. Cause I ask for help but don’t accept the help so she doesn’t know how to help me. I don’t realize im doing that. I feel bad she is frustrated. I’m also frustrated. Does this mean im a untreatable client? ! I’ve been seeing 2 counselors and a social worker for a yr/ yr in a half. Plus saw counselors b4 that. Im gonna be 21, and im not improving. I refuse hospitals cuz im scared and my family wld b really mad. I don’t want to have that happen again. How can I improve? Or is this my life?
3. #KatiFAQ Hey Kati, I’m not sure if this is too late, but in your recent video you mentioned that a person has to be ‘ready’ to heal, but how do we know that we are ready and how can we prepare ourselves to become ready? I’m not sure whether that actually makes sense, so feel free to avoid this question. Also thank you for all that you do , you are truly a phenomenal person!
I watched the film ‘about time’ last week, about a man who can travel back in time over his own timeline. At the end he said ‘I live each day as if I’ve come back to enjoy it as my last and enjoy all the wonderful, little moments of my amazing, ordinary life. After all, we’re all travelling through time together, the least we can do is enjoy the ride.’ I loved this because it reminded me of the joy that can be found in the ordinary moments of the most mundane day. There’s beauty in everyone’s life if you just look for it.
Is it selfish that I don’t want my sister to see my therapist? Twitter Thursday! #KatiFAQ
1. @KatiMorton #katifaq Do you need to have a ‘diagnosis’ by someone qualified to get therapy?
2. How can I better help people online? I try and relate if someone has a problem similar to something I’ve been through, or empathize if not & be as positive as possible. But what can you do when someone doesn’t want to accept anything positive? There’s only so many times you can tell someone they deserve to be more happy and that things will improve (which I completely believe) without it sounding trite. No one should feel alone or unhappy, especially if I could do something to stop it, but I end up feeling helpless, any tips?
3. #KatiFAQ Saturday my coworkers and I are going to a gun range after work, but I am super triggered by guns because shooting myself was one of my suicide plans. Although I am no longer suicidal, It is uber triggering to hold a gun. What do I? Attendance is mandatory. Can I go and not participate? Should I talk to my manager and tell him the truth? I just started this job not too long ago and I don’t want to be that guy who doesn’t do everything. I just don’t feel comfortable holding a gun, not because I am afraid that I am going to kill myself, but because I know I will have an anxiety attack from it triggering my suicidal urges. I don’t want to go back to that place ever again, so what should I do? Thanks for your response, and I love each and every video you put out. XOX
4. #katifaq I have a younger sister who is 15 yrs old. She was smoking and drinking and having sex so I told my parents to protect her. Now my mom wants her to start seeing my therapist. I don’t want her to start seeing my therapist that I have been seeing for 4yrs now and my therapist is the one who recommended me tell my parents about her bad behaviours. I’m really confused? Is it okay to feel this way?? Or am I just really selfish?? I want her to be able to see a therapist because I know how much it can help but I don’t want her to see mine
Also, if it hasn’t been done before, I have a journal topic. Write a letter to one of your struggles. Say whatever you want. Call it names. Get angry. Tell it how it has made you a better person. Tell it how you will overcome it. Just let everything out onto the page.
Will I ever have control of self-harm? Website/YouTube Wednesday! #KatiFAQ
1. katifaq WHAT TESTS DO YOU DO WHEN A CLIENT COMES IN AND THINKS THEY HAVE DEPRESSION (beck depression scale, HAM D (Hamilton depression rating scale)
2. #KatiFAQ Is it a problem to sort of enjoy dissociating?
3. Hey Kati. My question is, Will I ever have full control of self-harm or will self harm control me for the rest of my life?
I don’t self-harm as much now as i have in the past i can control my self not to do it most of the time but its the aftermath that is left behind as i have that many scars on my arm that has left me not able to step out my front door without wearing a long sleeve top or even if i answer the door to someone i have to cover up be forehand and it still feels like the self-harm still has that control over me and it feels like i can’t be free from it. It has been like for since i can remember its always with me i have tried to step outside without a long sleeve top but i freeze it like my mind will not let me do it but as soon as i put my top on i am fine then. There are only certain people that i can be my self with and not have to keep hiding it away. It holds me back so much this is the last part of my recovery and then i can go back to who i was before self-harm took over my life.
"Nothing is so often irretrievably missed as a daily opportunity."
Is it possible to have more than one eating disorder? Tumblr Tuesday! #KatiFAQ
1. #KatiFAQ Do you think it’s bad to follow Tumblr blogs that make posts about how depressed they are, and just post depressing things in general? I like to look at these because I can relate to the posts and it makes me feel like I’m not alone, but at the same time I feel like it’s perpetuating my depression and only making it more “real” and prominent in my life.
2. #Katifaq is self harm always associated with BPD or depression?
3. #katifaq hey kati I was wondering if it’s possible to have more than one eating disorder. Like can you be anorexic and not eat any food but still be bulimic and make yourself puke. Or can you exercise excessively even though you don’t eat a lot and you make yourself puke. Can you have a three of these eating disorders? Thanks.
“Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place.”
Anonymous asked: #katifaq hey kati I was wondering if it's possible to have more than one eating disorder. Like can you be anorexic and not eat any food but still be bulimic and make yourself puke. Or can you exercise excessively even though you don't eat a lot and you make yourself puke. Can you have a three of these eating disorders? Thanks.
Thank you so much for your question! I get of questions like this so I will talk about it in my video today :) xoxo
Anonymous asked: #KatiFAQ hey kati, I was just wondering what your advice would be as to how I can stop feeling like everything is my fault? Over the past six years my mom has drilled into me that my parents divorce and all the conflict since is my fault. Even if a small part of me knows that's not true, I'm constantly feeling guilty and at fault about everything (from their divorce to fights with my friends) and it leads to self destructive behaviors. Thank you
Hey honey! I am so so sorry that this has been happening to you :( I am going to be doing a video (very soon) on emotional abuse… I think you will find that topic to be very helpful with this :) xoxo
Anonymous asked: hey kati, I've seen all your videos with depression on youtube, but none gave me what I was wondering. one must cry every night, or cry at all only to be diagnosed with depression?
Not all people with depression cry.. it honestly depends on how depression feels for you. In my video about the signs of depression, what I am really mentioning are the diagnostic criteria for depression. I hope that helps! xoxo
Anonymous asked: #KatiFAQ Do you think it's bad to follow Tumblr blogs that make posts about how depressed they are, and just post depressing things in general? I like to look at these because I can relate to the posts and it makes me feel like I'm not alone, but at the same time I feel like it's perpetuating my depression and only making it more "real" and prominent in my life.
Thanks for your question :) I will talk about this today :) xoxo
How can I stop feeling worthless? Facebook Friday! #KatiFAQ
1. #KatiFAQ Hi Kati. I was wondering what emotional abuse is. I understand the concept but how do you know if you have been emotionally abused? Also what is the difference between emotional and mental abuse? I hope you answer this, thank you so much. Mallory
2. #Katifaq - Accepting sympathy? Hey Kati! I absolutely hate it when my therapist shows any sort of sympathy towards me, is this normal? I’m still working through some past trauma & it makes me super uncomfortable to hear her say things like ‘I’m so sorry that happened’ or ‘that had to be very scary’ or anything along those lines… Showing sympathy doesn’t change anything and it’s not like she could really ever understand how I felt/feel about it. In addition, it makes me even more uncomfortable to hear her say that I was ‘abused’. I know that I was, but I feels like I’m being labeled as defective or something. Can I ask her to not say those kinds of things? Or is it something I need to hear/learn to accept? Thanks!!
3. #KatiFAQ How can you overcome feeling worthless? Throughout my childhood I was sexually abused by my dad and my mum did nothing about it. I want to recover but I don’t know how to motivate myself when I feel so worthless.
What do you consider your greatest accomplishment to date.. and why? Share with me!! xox
What’s considered sexual abuse? Twitter Thursday! #KatiFAQ
1. #katifaq how can you tell whether your friends are ‘toxic friends’ or not?
2. #KatiFAQ How do I start with a new therapist? Do I have to tell them everything I have already talked about? I signed a release form that my therapist has. What do therapists tell other therapists when transferring a client? Thanks so much!
3. #KatiFAQ Hi Kati! What’s considered to be sexual abuse? When I was about 7 years old this person forced me to do some things.I say force because I hated it and I didn’t know what to do to stop it. He was only 4 years older than me.
We were children so there wasn’t sex involved but now when I’m in recovery I think that it did affect me more than I thought. Thank you! xo
4. #katifaq not sure if this will be in time but here goes. So I’m over a year clean from self-harm but lately the urges have been getting Worse, especially since a bad break up. Instead of acting on these urges, I’ve started to drink and smoke a lot more, Is it normal to replace one self destructive behaviour with another?
Hi Kati! So this isn’t a quote but really a mental exercise that has really helped me feel grounded. It is from an article called “How to Beat Panic Attacks: 3 Simple Mindfulness Techniques”
“If, like me, you find that closing your eyes makes you panic more, open your eyes and start acknowledging your surroundings. Say hello to your hands, your feet, the ground, the ceiling, a chair, a tree, or anything at all you spot around you. If you feel like this is ridiculous, it is! Allow yourself to chuckle and have a sense of humor about it.
It may sound ridiculous but it really helps me remember where I am and be more conscious!
Thank you to Megan for making her video today!! It is in my playlist “kind words from others”