You have a mental health question! I may just have the mental health answer. Depression, self-harm, anxiety, eating disorders, OCD, Bipolar, Trichotillomania and more. If it is mental health related, I’m here for you.
This video is for people who are new to my channel & how I do things. If you aren’t new to the channel, this might be a good video for you to share with others to help them get up to speed.
So… I make mental health videos 5 days a week and post them on YouTube. Monday is my video and Tuesday through Friday I answer questions you submit to me on other social media sites. Easy right?
On Monday, I make a video of my choosing and post to YouTube. As a Therapist, I see all the questions you ask & our community sentiments… I try and deliver pertinent videos to this.
Tuesday I’m answering your questions from Tumblr go to https://www.katimorton.tumblr.com & ask me direct questions in my inbox and use #katiFAQ. If you want to remain anonymous, let me know.
Wednesday, ask your questions on my website https://www.katimorton.com or on my YouTube video (in the comment section of previous day’s video)
Thursday is Twitter - Find me @katimorton and use #katiFAQ
How do I prepare for a trip home? Facebook Friday! #KatiFAQ
1. #KatiFAQ I’m finally on the cusp of success. I’m just scared that if I make myself 100% vulnerable and give my job literally everything I have that I’m going to fail. My office is expanding next month and I’m just scared of moving and then 2 or 3 months later work not panning out. I know I will be fine, but self doubt is clouding my mind. What’s your advice?
2. Hi #KatiFAQ
I lost a child 8 years ago to a heart defect (he was 4years, 9 months old). I had been coping better with it over the past couple of years but am struggling really badly now. I had a miscarriage 2months ago (22weeks pregnant) and I understand this is probably what has sent me backwards. My question is how do I heal from losing my son and the recent loss with the miscarriage, in a way that it won’t keep coming back to haunt me. Of course I never want to forget my son and will never stop wanting him back but I struggle to get through the day at the moment.
3. #katiFAQ I’m going to be visiting my parents soon, and I find seeing them triggers lots of negative thoughts. I fear they will be judging my body. Is there anything I can do to prepare so I can enjoy it more?
What does your soul look like? Let’s get creative this weekend and pull out our crayons, markers, paint and paper. What do you visualize your soul looking like? Is it bright orange and red? Or maybe deep purple? Is it swirling or scattered?
1. Kati, what do you think about two people with mental illnesses dating one another? I suffer from bpd and major depression and my partner has ptsd and sometimes it seems like the symptoms of our disorders trigger each other, but we also know how to understand and take care of each other during more depressive episodes. Also, he’s in therapy and on meds and I’m not anymore and my symptoms have been relapsing. When two people with mental illness are in a relationship how do they both navigate and dissect their negative voices and distorted thinking from what’s really going on? I don’t want to be a martyr or self sabotage or push him away because I really love him, but I’m afraid of being a hinder to his recovery too. Could our relationship be healthy and safe even if at the moment I’m not? Help…
2. #katifaq hi kati I’ve somehow managed to get back in touch with a friend I went to school with. Now I haven’t got any friends and we picked up really well. She although could see my self esteem is low! Asked me why. I tried to say something but I panicked and said I can’t talk about this and changed the subject. What do I do? She has known me since I was 12. Too long, how to repair a friendship please.
3. #katiFAQ Is it possible to get out of a depression without seeing a therapist or using meds? i’ve seen your video about signs of depression (& other similar videos) & i match all of the signs, it has been going on for a year & it keeps getting worse , and there’s no cause for this depression ( no traumatic event or abuse or something like that). Ps: i don’t have the courage to come forward & see a therapist & i don’t want to be treated with meds. Please help
Journal Topic: Thanks Rachel
I recently purchased the book “This I Believe.” It is made up of essays from people of all walks of life answering the essay prompt “This i believe.” I thought it could be interesting to talk about. I feel like when one is struggling with any form of mental illness it is so had to remember who we are or what we stand for. But try to answer this question. There are no wrong answers and it can be as simple or complicated as you want.
Here is mine:
“I believe in truth. I believe that love can have the power to transcend. To breakthrough the walls you believe are built for protection, but that only lead to war within your thoughts. I believe that someday, someone out there will make me believe that their love can surpass my uncertainty, my vulnerability, my scars. This I believe.”
What does “being sectioned” mean? Tumblr Tuesday! #KatiFAQ
1. #KatiFAQ Hey Kati! What are some of the requirements to get on medication for depression/anxiety? I’ve been diagnosed with anxiety but they never offered medication to me as an option. I was wondering what things are taken into mind when deciding if a client should get a prescription to help. Thanks!
2. #KatiFAQ Can sexual abuse influence your sexuality? If so, does the abuse have to occur during childhood, or could it occur in adulthood and still influence one’s sexuality?
3. #KATIFAQ hey kati , what is ‘being sectioned’ is it something do do with eating disorders ? What is it ?
Journal Topic: Thanks Kaylinnajlouth
I never really thought about how much it meant to live.Thought about taking the exit The easy way isn’t it suppose to be the best? Never really thought about how much I had to give.Friends? Who the hell needs them?Pictures never change but people always fade. Teachers always told me stand up for who I am. I was taught different. In school it was always think before you speak. No forget that shit. Its stand up for what I believe in. Don’t back down daddy always said. Mom taught me what was right. Always walk away when there is a fight. I lay there letting them abuse me. They always seem to amuse me. With every hit I take my breathe comes more shallow.Laying there half dead. Thinking should I stay? Close my eyes keep silent there words will drown you if you let them. Im friends with my demons. The angels lost. Don’t let your soul die.Don’t let things get bad. You have control you can win this fight!
Anonymous asked: #KatiFAQ hey Kati! Should I tell my therapist my sexual orientation? She hasn't asked yet but I think it's really laced in the root of my ED. What should I do? Thanks
If you feel like it is important for your therapy and recovery I would encourage you to bring it up in your next session. You can write some stuff down and/or practice saying it out loud if you are worried about bringing it up :) xox
Anonymous asked: #KatiFAQ Hope you're doing well, Kati! Is social anxiety something that can be dealt with in therapy, or is it just something that you have and kind of have to deal with on your own? Thanks!
You can definitely get help for this in therapy :) CBT therapy is best, but even talk therapy really helps:) xox
Anonymous asked: #KatiFAQ Hey Kati! What are some of the requirements to get on medication for depression/anxiety? I've been diagnosed with anxiety but they never offered medication to me as an option. I was wondering what things are taken into mind when deciding if a client should get a prescription to help. Thanks!
Great question honey:) I will talk about this today :) xoxo.
Facebook Friday! 1. Sorry if this is really obvious, but is there a difference between distraction techniques and coping mechanisms when dealing with self harm urges? I haven’t self harmed in a few months because I’ve become quite good at distracting myself by listening to music etc, but the feelings still come back over and over again without becoming any weaker or less frequent. I think this might be because I haven’t actually developed any healthy coping mechanisms so my brain still decides I should sh, but what actually are some examples of healthy coping mechanisms?
2. #KATIFAQ When i have negative thoughts, how do i decide which i should argue back to and which i need to try and just dismiss without getting sucked in to a pointless ‘discussion’ with? Sometimes arguing back helps but other times it leads to a whole load of more answers back from the negative ‘voice’.
3. #KatiFAQ Hey Kati! I really need an answer to this question I’ve been nagged with. How long can my eating disorder survive? I stopped recovery 3 years ago and I think I’m close to relapsing, but is that even possible? I self-harmed last night for the first time in a year and I’m really getting worried. Is it even possible for an eating disorder to survive for nearly 7 years? HELP!
Of all the people you will know in a lifetime, you are the only one you will never leave or lose. To the question of your life, you are the only answer. To the problems in your life, you are the only solution. –Jo Coudert
1. Hi Kati, if you notice that a client has started to given up hope again and they tell you that they don’t really care about anything and they have no motivation for anything what do you suggest them to do?
2. is it bad for me to rely on YOU as my source of comfort everyday,like if i was having a bad day i would watch ur videos?
3. hi kati! I just came back from my doctor and he suggested along with my other therapy to start occupational therapy as well! Have you ever work with any? What is it exactly? Thanks!!
Journal Topic: Thanks Lauren!
"Everyone wants to be the sun to lighten up everyone’s life, but why not be the moon, to brighten in the darkest hour."
1. Hey Kati, why do I crave sympathy from others? I’m willing to go as far as hurting myself just to seek sympathy from mostly teachers at school. I’m not sure if this is part of my father being an alcoholic who doesn’t say “I love you” or want to hang out with me but I just don’t understand what’s wrong with me. Please help. Thank you for all your videos they help me get through a lot
2. Is it common to be attached to using a certain plate/ bowl/ etc during you ED recovery? Is it harmful if it reduces your anxiety around eating and why do we do this?
3. I always feel worthless and hopeless, like my life is stuck in a place I don’t want and that it will never get better. Like even the fairly low expectations I have for my life, even those seem impossible and that everything I do is utterly pointless and just a waste of my time and worse, a waste on those around me. People seem to think I have potential, that I’m good at things, that I’m a good person, but I feel like just telling them that I’m sorry, but they were wrong and I’m sorry for wasting their time.
I feel like everything is wrong in my life and I only have myself to blame. Honestly there really isn’t much wrong with my life, which mostly just makes me feel worse about the way I am. I think about suicide a lot, practically every day for as long as I can remember.
Yet I don’t even care enough to want to change things, myself, my situation, or my thoughts. I don’t want to get “better” anymore. I tried counseling a bit and didn’t get much out of it; Paxil worked a bit better, but eventually just stopped a long time ago now.
I feel like I deserve this. Do you hear sentiments like that a lot and how do you handle them?