Why does religion help some people? Tumblr Tuesday!! #KatiFAQ
1. #Katifaq hey Kati, I have horrible anxiety and panic attacks. I’m a junior in a very large school but could easily switch to a school 1/4 the size. I’d know NO ONE. Would you suggest to a client to move schools if it could possibly help.?
2.#KatiFAQ I haven’t seen my therapist in a year or so but I left very abruptly because my parents couldn’t pay for it. I’ve gotten a lot better since then but I still want to talk through some things with her. how would I go about the first appointment after not seeing her for a year. I’m scared we won’t have the same connection as we did.
3. I got this one in my PO Box 2 weeks ago: Are you religious? Even if you are not, why or how do you think going to church or praying seems to help a lot of people struggling with depression? Like, is there a scientific reason why it helps some people? Thanks!
Meeting people in real life and talking face to face. It can be so powerful to actually see someone and feel their understanding and empathy.
Will going to therapy cause me to completely lose my mind? Website/YouTube Wednesday! #KatiFAQ
1. #katiFAQ Can you recover if you’re job focuses on your body? I am in professional training as a dancer, actress and singer and you mentioned before how you’ve had clients who did these jobs & found it harder to recover. Because what I do entails hours of exercise a day, is it possible for me to recover from my ed? I know that I need to in order to be healthy enough to fulfill my career, but my body is always going to be judged. Thanks! Been wondering and hearing conflicting things about this, which really upsets me because I know I’m passionate about the career I’ve chosen and would be lost without it xxx
2. #KatiFAQ What do you think about holistic medicine (acupuncture) for mental health related things, such as depression, anxiety, and eating disorders? What do you think of it as a compliment to therapy, or an alternative to medication?
I know the World Health Organization recognizes it as an effective form of treatment for many conditions. What do you think I recently tried acupuncture and I think it was extremely helpful.
3. Hi Kati!! Thank you for all you do, you are just amazing! Anyway, I am going into my junior year of college and all summer I have been seeing the same therapist three times a week. I really love her and am making great progress. I am going to school in a little over a week, far away from home and I won’t be able to meet with her in person. We have planned to continue sessions over skype three times a week. I was just wondering if you think it will be equally productive? I am just worried because I feel like meeting someone in person is more beneficial because therapists pick up on little things like body language but I don’t want to switch because I feel so comfortable with her.
4. Hi Kati,
I have been referred to a hospital mental health section to deal with my issues by my psychiatrist. He referred me last year also but I refused to go hoping that I will just be able to cope on my own. The thing is I was in therapy a few years ago in CAMHS but she left when I was just getting better. I’m scared to trust someone again and I am petrified to talk& open up about where ally problems have come from (childhood sexual abuse from 8yrs-14yrs). When I let myself think about what happened its as if he is inside my head& controls me. I’m not in control of my thoughts or actions and am worried I will kill myself if I start to open up about it. But clearly going on the way I am is not healthy and I’m just getting worse. I don’t know what to do. It’s not like I’ve never spoke about it cause I had a court case for 3eeeks about it and had to speak in court and everything. (He got not guilty)
I want to get better, but I genuinely feel if I go down this route of talking about it all again I will completely loose my mind. I need your advice. Sometimes I think I can’t be bothered to fight anymore cause he’s already won xxx
@KatiMorton the greatest prison people live in, is the fear of what other people will think. #journaltopic Thanks Brent!
Anonymous asked: #KatiFAQ I haven't seen my therapist in a year or so but I left very abruptly because my parents couldn't pay for it. I've gotten a lot better since then but I still want to talk through some things with her. how would I go about the first appointment after not seeing her for a year. I'm scared we won't have the same connection as we did.
Thank you so much for or question! I will talk about how to go about this in my video today! I hope at helps :) xox
Can’t wait to see all of you able to come to Vloggerfair this weekend!! Our meet up will be in Vloggerfair between 11:30 am and 12:30pm!! xoxo I will let you know what room or area when I know more!! xoxo
m3g4b1t3 asked: hi kati i know i have been banned for 7 days but i just want you to know i did not mean to do anything wrong i love this community i would do anything for these guys its just things have been extremly tough right now i understand that everyone else has problems i just want to make things better now byt apologising to everyone and that it wont happen againbut in order ot do that i need to be ublock get back to me asap and see what you think?i am a good person always have been always will be
Hi Shaun, thank you for taking the time to write. It happens, we all make mistakes. Once the suspension is up, you can jump back into the chat room. When you do so, please listen to the moderators and familiarize yourself with the rules. I hope your week is off to a good start.
I would really like your opinion on this matter. Please share your story or feedback. I recognize that this is not the case with everyone however I think it is something that should be discussed more. Let’s start the conversation here…
Is it normal to love my abuser? Facebook Friday! #KatiFAQ
1. #katiFAQ hi kati I’m 18 and I was raped for 7 years by my neighbor he is 50 years old , I’ve been seeing him every day for 7 years and I feel that I love him although I started feeling this new so is it normal or do I need help to get through this ?! Please help .
2. #KatiFAQ hey Kati. i have depression and anxiety but they are both self diagnosed. i have asked my parents to take me somewhere, where i can talk to someone and get help. but the are ashamed and don’t want to believe that i have problems. its really hard because i have to hide everything from them. what are some ways i can get help without them knowing? btw i LOVE your videos
3. #KatiFAQ: hi Kati, my question is: is it possible to have bpd tendencies but not the actual disorder? I went back to seeing my old therapist after being discharged from treatment and one of the first things she asked me was if I was diagnosed with bpd. They didn’t tell me I was but it seems my therapist thinks I am I guess?! So is it possible to have just the symptoms? Thanks!!
Hi Kati, Thank you for everything you do. I have a suggestion for a journal topic. “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, of work around it.” -Michael Jordan I love this quote because no matter what come in your way you should never give up. Even if you hit a wall and you’re stuck there for awhile never give up because you will always find a way to get over it. Thank you again for everything you do and have an amazing weekend. -Alexandra
How do I overcome my apathy for recovery? Twitter Thursday! #KatiFAQ
1. What Is Outpatient Group Therapy Like For Eating Disorders I Never Been Their But I’m Going Soon And I’m Really Scared. Will I have to eat there?
2. #KatiFAQ is there such thing as only having an ed at a certain time of day like at night? @KatiMorton
3. I will be doing really well, and then for no reason I will just stop caring about recovery, my goals and myself. Nothing that used to drive me before matters. How can I fight through this apathy? Thanks.
Journal Topic: Thanks Millie!
“We cannot judge a song by it’s duration, nor by the number of notes, we must judge it by the way it touches and lifts our soul” –anon
This quote always helps me to focus on the things that really matter in life. Your appearance and all those little things you think you need to be perfect, don’t matter, what really matters is the way you lift other people and the ways you can bring happiness into the world.
How can I let myself cry?!? Website/YouTube Wednesday! #KatiFAQ
1. #katifaq What is your opinion on documentaries, movies, and TV shows on eating disorders and self harm? Do you think it might glamorize it and give people ideas or do you think it spreads awareness? Also do non disordered people watch things like that? Thanks!
2. #KatiFAQ How do I know which level of ED treatment I should aim for? I’m currently seeing a counselor, and I’ll be able to see a GP soon. How do I know if this is enough, or if I should seek further treatment? Thanks!
3. #KatiFAQ What are your thoughts on the Rubber Band Theory for people who self harm? I was just given an elastic from my therapist to use to try and replace cutting, but I have also heard it doesn’t “count” because you are still harming yourself. Any thoughts? Thank you!
4. Kati I have been in years of counseling and even been in a psych ward and a residential home for girls for 6 months and I can tell my story over and over again about the abuse, and all that fun stuff….but I just cant seem to let myself cry during the sessions…I think parts of it is fear of letting go….I hate to lose control, which is why I still struggle with Self harm (11 years) and an eating disorder(9 years)…Could it possibly be that I fear of getting betrayed by my counselor again? I have been to about 6 different counselors and the first two betrayed my trust with them. Is that causing a stumbling block with my current one? Could trust play a factor? I want to cry I really do. I just cant get myself to do it..its like everything numbs up in session….
Journal Topic: Thanks Rachel!! xox
Hi Kati! So this isn’t really a quote but I think it is definitely something to think about/thought provoking. Today in therapy, I was complaining about my ED and things just being really difficult in recovery. I said how I hope that what I have been through is the hardest thing that I will ever face in my life. To which my therapist responded, “Believe it is until life proves you wrong.” I just thought this was amazing and could maybe help others in their outlooks in any given situation
1. #KatiFAQ: I often forget the work that I’ve done in therapy, shortly after I leave appointments (like hours after), especially my trauma therapy. Is this normal? How do I stop forgetting what I’ve worked on Right away?
2. #katiFAQ- Hi, Kati. Are eating disorders racist? I’ve often heard that only Caucasians can have them. I go days without eating when really stressed and restrict on a regular basis. It has caused some concern for friends and family; however, I don’t believe I can have one since I’m African-American. Are eating disorders really only “a white girl problem”? I really love your videos and hope you can answer this. Thanks.
3. #katifaq Hi! My question is how do I know if I should switch therapist or if it’s just my depression resisting? I’ve been going to therapy for over a year now and I don’t feel any better. I have talked to my therapist but nothing seems to change.
Journal topic?? “Great things are done by series of small things brought together” I just made a list of all the things I have done to get this far. Eg. How I prepared for appointments etc. Made me realize how many challenges I’ve overcome and how all the little things add up! Xx
Anonymous asked: #katifaq Hi! My question is how do I know if I should switch therapist or if it's just my depression resisting? I've been going to therapy for over a year now and I don't feel any better. I have talked to my therapist but nothing seems to change.
Great question honey!! I will talk about this today :) xoxo
Anonymous asked: #katifaq hey kati im the one who asked about psychoanalytic therapy last week! Ive talked about it with my therapist and she says that is better to stay in a long term therapy rather than in a short term one (cbt, dbt) even for bpd. And it will help me more! Is she right or is she trying to keep another patient (help my mind is driving me insane)
Well she is right… DBT is a longer term therapy (when it comes to your work after) and CBT is even shorter time in actual therapy. If you feel that you are getting somewhere in your therapy it is up to you whether you want to stay with her or not. It is statistically known that DBT is the best therapy for those who struggle with BPD.. you could see if there is someone available in your area first :) xxo
Anonymous asked: #katiFAQ- Hi, Kati. Are eating disorders racist? I've often heard that only Caucasians can have them. I go days without eating when really stressed and restrict on a regular basis. It has caused some concern for friends and family; however, I don't believe I can have one since I'm African-American. Are eating disorders really only "a white girl problem"? I really love your videos and hope you can answer this. Thanks.
Thank you so much for your question honey! I will talk about this in my video today!! xoxo