Is it selfish that I don’t want my sister to see my therapist? Twitter Thursday! #KatiFAQ
1. @KatiMorton #katifaq Do you need to have a ‘diagnosis’ by someone qualified to get therapy?
2. How can I better help people online? I try and relate if someone has a problem similar to something I’ve been through, or empathize if not & be as positive as possible. But what can you do when someone doesn’t want to accept anything positive? There’s only so many times you can tell someone they deserve to be more happy and that things will improve (which I completely believe) without it sounding trite. No one should feel alone or unhappy, especially if I could do something to stop it, but I end up feeling helpless, any tips?
3. #KatiFAQ Saturday my coworkers and I are going to a gun range after work, but I am super triggered by guns because shooting myself was one of my suicide plans. Although I am no longer suicidal, It is uber triggering to hold a gun. What do I? Attendance is mandatory. Can I go and not participate? Should I talk to my manager and tell him the truth? I just started this job not too long ago and I don’t want to be that guy who doesn’t do everything. I just don’t feel comfortable holding a gun, not because I am afraid that I am going to kill myself, but because I know I will have an anxiety attack from it triggering my suicidal urges. I don’t want to go back to that place ever again, so what should I do? Thanks for your response, and I love each and every video you put out. XOX
4. #katifaq I have a younger sister who is 15 yrs old. She was smoking and drinking and having sex so I told my parents to protect her. Now my mom wants her to start seeing my therapist. I don’t want her to start seeing my therapist that I have been seeing for 4yrs now and my therapist is the one who recommended me tell my parents about her bad behaviours. I’m really confused? Is it okay to feel this way?? Or am I just really selfish?? I want her to be able to see a therapist because I know how much it can help but I don’t want her to see mine
Also, if it hasn’t been done before, I have a journal topic. Write a letter to one of your struggles. Say whatever you want. Call it names. Get angry. Tell it how it has made you a better person. Tell it how you will overcome it. Just let everything out onto the page.
What can I do to stop myself from becoming suicidal again? Facebook Friday!! #KatiFAQ
1. Hi kati. I got out of the hospital today after an overdose earlier this week. Im feeling more stable now but I am scared I am going to go back to that place. What are some things I can do to stop myself from getting suicidal? What are things I can do now to stay in a good place?
2. Kati Morton FAQ: Do you think diagnosis is important? I’ve seen a couple of doctors and psychologists about my anxiety issues and eating disorder. The psychologist I was seeing as well as the doctors all said at some point that I have an eating disorder but didn’t specify, and I think its likely that I do have GAD, EDNOS and depression but I’ve never been officially diagnosed with anything. I don’t really understand why and I find it frustrating and invalidating when I try to see someone new and explain what my issues are because I feel that at first they don’t take me seriously
3. #KatiFAQ i hope i’m not late: how am i supposed to figure out who i am? i’m recovering from an ed, i used anorexia to create my identity because i was afraid of living without one. now i’m not using my ed behaviours anymore and i’m starting university in october but i still feel lost. i can’t be confident being myself if i don’t have identity
Journal Topic: (thanks Megan!!)
Journal topic idea: there’s a song in the musical ‘Rent’ for which the lyrics go “There’s only us, there’s only this, forget regret, or life is yours to miss” I guess it’s just about accepting your reality so that you can enjoy life. A lot of times when I’ve been in a rut, this song has made me realize that hating where I’m at or ruminating on things that are in the past isn’t going to do anything and it’s time to move forward because otherwise I’ll miss out on the good times
#katifaq How can you avoid being triggered by others’ diets when in ED recovery? My best friend (and housemate) has decided she’s going to go on a ‘juice fast’ for a week. Even her telling me that has really increased my guilt over eating. I know I’m making healthy choices and I’m trying to talk back to my ED voice with that, but it’s going to be so hard eating meals when she’s just drinking juice next to me. Is there anything I can do to cope with this better? Thanks for everything you do xxx
#katifaq Hi Kati! is it possible to get better without putting in the work? my ED/SH has really gotten better since i’ve taken time off of school and now I’m looking to return to school in the fall. i am worried because deep down i know i haven’t put in the right work and i haven’t done all that my therapist has suggested i do (dietician, group, etc.). is it possible to keep feeling better, or because i didn’t do what was recommended, is it likely that i will go back into my behaviors? thanks!
#katifaq Hi Kati I was talking to my friend about my sexual abuse and I found out she was also sexual abused as a child. She told that she got over it with no help and I need to be strong. That I could do it by myself and did not need help. That I can’t let him win. I have been depressed since I could remember, I self harm and have suicide thoughts. Am I letting him win by doing this?